It is important for a club to plan a variety of events that appeal to a diverse group of alumni in your area. This includes programming for recent grads, families, and more mature alumni through well-rounded activities that promote UI students and scholarship, your local community, networking, and a feeling of being connected to the University of Iowa.
- Wine tasting
- IOWA Club night at a local minor league athletic game
- Bowling night
- Intramural sports team
- Pre- and post- concert receptions
- Outing to a local museum or gallery
- Family day/night at a local zoo, children’s museum, or pumpkin patch
- Monthly book club (you might feature reading of Iowa Writers’ Workshop authors)
- Student Recruitment & Scholarship
- Summer picnic and student send-off for incoming UI freshmen from your area
- Golf tournament
- Trivia night
- Become an ASIST volunteer
- 50/50 raffle at a pizza night to raise money for a textbook scholarship for a student from your area
- Host an ice cream party at a local home or park for UI scholarship recipients from your area
- Community Service
- Dress up in black and gold to hand out water at a local marathon or race
- Create a UI team for Race for the Cure, Relay for Life, bike-a-thon, or St. Jude’s walks
- Participate as a group to ring the Salvation Army bell and serve food at a local shelter
- Incorporate a toy, coat, or canned food drive into a happy hour event
- “Adopt” a local park or stretch of highway
- Happy Hours/Networking
- Texas Hold ‘em Tournaments,
- Invite/feature a prominent UI alum in your area to a Hawkeye Happy Hour
- Partner with another local university on a joint happy hour and incorporate a service component (canned food drive competition)
- Invite a UI alum with financial planning expertise to speak at a Hawkeye Happy Hour
- Host a “lunch and learn” event
How to promote your events
The UIAA can send your event notice to alumni in your area. Just send us the details and give us 3 weeks notice.
- Online event registration
The UIAA can host your club’s event registration on our website, including credit card payment processing. Please provide at least a 2 week notice for this service request.
The UIAA can post your event information on your club’s website.
Twice per year, your club mails a “save the date” postcard to UIAA members in your area. Work with your club leader to have the event included on the postcard. We require a 6-week notice, so working closely with your club leader to plan a calendar of events is especially important.
- Social networking
Post the event to your Facebook status or a discussion thread to the UI alumni network group on LinkedIn.
- Local media outlets
Submit your events to local radio stations (public service announcement), newspaper, or free weekly entertainment newspaper.