Thursday, March 30, 2017
Explore the Beer Tunnels Beneath Iowa City
Presented by the UIAA, Local Hawkeyes offers a variety of educational events and unique experiences — right in (or underneath) your backyard!
When: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
*Beer tunnel tour is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. Dinner will follow at John's Grocery.
Where: Participants will meet at the main entry of Brewery Square, 123 N. Linn St. This is located across from Motley Cow. Please arrive 5 minutes before this event.
Cost: $35, non-refundable
Buried 30 feet beneath Iowa City's Northside district lies a historic passage rarely seen by the general public. Join the UIAA as we give you exclusive access to the Iowa City beer tunnels.
The beer tunnels date to the 1850s when three large breweries were built along East Market and Linn streets: Great Western, Old City, and Union. While only one of these buildings remains, the underground tunnels still exist and are being opened for you!
Join Marlin R. Ingalls, an architectural historian with the Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist, for an evening of exploration, history, and, of course, a beer tasting at John's Grocery to conclude the tour!
Following the hour-long beer tunnel tour, the beer tasting includes 10 different beers, pulled pork sliders, roasted vegetables, and mac and cheese.
To participate in this event you must:
- Weigh less than 250 pounds. This is the maximum weight capacity stated on the ladder.
- Be unafraid of heights, depths, confined spaces, the dark, or any other such conditions.
- Be able to descend and ascend a 25-foot ladder.
- Have no physical disabilities that may put you at risk. These include hip or knee replacements, back problems, any physically restrictive issues, devices, or other related conditions. Good coordination is expected.
- You will be required to sign an insurance release form before descent into the tunnels.
- Wear appropriate footwear and clothing. Caves are about 55 degrees and can be muddy.
- No alcohol may be consumed prior to this event.
**The UIAA reserves the right to turn away anyone who does not meet these guidelines. You will not receive a refund if you do not meet the requirements above**
*Each participant must register individually.*